Monday, October 28, 2013

Halloween / Day of the Dead Blog Hop

So....Diana Ptaszynski decided to host a Day of the Dead and Halloween Blog Hop. She announced it on her blog last month.. And since I have not made jewelry since FOREVER ago, I jumped in, thinking this would be a good kickstart to getting back into the jewelry-making groove.

First, I needed a Day of the Dead focal. I had nothing in my bead collection and because I had gotten very busy with studio construction and a trunk show in Rochester NY, I ended up with very little time to make anything. So I needed to go shopping. The very first person I thought of was Staci Smith. I love her Day of the Dead bronze focals. Thank goodness she had at least one left, which I promptly snatched up and which she immediately shipped to me! Yay Staci!

Almost as soon as I got it, I started thinking about the style I wanted to design in. I definitely wanted a tribal / indigenous feel with LOT's of color. I have a wonderful collection of small czech seed beads that remind me of african and indian beads. Once I started pulling them out I knew I was on the right track. I added a bit of black chain I had been saving, one of my rustic ancient blue grotto gears along with a chestnut brown stick toggle, some gorgeous sky blue beads by Shannon German (Missficklemedia), and a stone textured black Wing Ding by Genea Crivello-Knable.


That's it! Hope you enjoyed my little creation - feels good to be making jewelry again!


Be sure to check out all the other blogs participating in the  Halloween / Day of the Dead Blog Hop!

Karen Totten (me!)

26 comments :

  1. I love this bracelet, beautifully designed with fantastic components!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Karen-- really nice work! Those elements came together beautifully. Good to see you designing jewelry again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I love your bracelet design. The bronze focal bead is fabulous and you've highlighted it beautifully with the other components and art beads. I'd love to wear this piece, it's just my style.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT piece - the combination of the "ancient" Czech beads with your gear and Staci's skull is absolutely perfect. I'd swipe that from you in a heartbeat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just proves that you need to make MORE jewelry! Love it! Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Karen!!!! If this is the first piece you have made in forever it was truly inspired. I love every part of it!! You girl need to make more jewelry!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You nailed it! love what you did with it- your clasp is pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice bracelet and I love Staci's focal! ! Beautiful work ;)

    Happy halloween and hope you are having fun on this hop ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking fab!! Those colors are awesome and I love anything with dark blue or navy in it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome! I love Genea's wing ding in there along with the skull. The black chain is perfect with those beads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous piece! It's both beautiful and wicked at the same time. I love all the colorful beads you used.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it. Hard to go wrong when you have such lovely components to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous bracelet!!! Staci's skulls are calling my name....LOVE! The colors you used are so organic and rustic....perfect! Thanks so much for sharing, it was wonderful to meet you at ArtBliss. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in love! That bracelet is so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous and I love the creative story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This bracelet is gorgeous - wonderful colors and textures. I love those pieces that make the clasp. And I'm going to have to have one of Staci's bonze sugar skulls. I've seen several during the hop, and they look great in such a variety of pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really captured the tribal feel and the colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really like the bracelet, and the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! Love all the rustic elements with the bronze skull...everything came together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We both used Staci's sugar skulls, but in completely different ways. That's what I love about blog hops--seeing each person's unique vision take form. I love your bracelet so much. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! Love the matte/crusty finished on your pieces and Genea's - adds a old crusty air to the piece. The jewel tones are perfect - colorful but not too much...

    ReplyDelete
  23. So fabulous! I love the colors and textures you pulled together for this.

    ReplyDelete